PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merchantman onboard trim indicator
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2021, 11:24
Blackfriar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was a despatcher for Merchantmen in the mid 80s (Air Bridge Carriers) and can confirm they had this. The captain would wait until taxying in case the oleos were sticking - a few brake applications sorted it out. We were very strict on loading pallets and igloos - they went over a weighbridge and we didn't trust TNT to tell us the correct weight. In a couple of years we only had one come back on stand with the trim being out - can't remember the outcome as to whether it was real or an instrument problem (but I didn't do the load-sheet on that one!). We had it drummed into us that if the aircraft went down into Lough Neagh, our names were on the load-sheet.
With today's technology it should be really easy. If the "typre pressure monitoring system" on cars can read the difference in circumference of a deflated tyre vs a fully inflated one, I'm sure an oleo measuring system could take three measures and work out actual take-off weight and trim CG.
I agree with other posters there have been fatalities due to mis-loading and this should be a simple option, compulsory for freighters.