PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the Tecnam P92 Echo and Old Wives Tales
Old 25th Apr 2021, 00:08
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
FWIW there is another behaviour in nose-wheel pilots I see sometimes. As the aircraft accelerates the pilot relaxes forward on the column and aircraft starts to get light on the mains as the nose pitches down slightly. This because take-off trim is usually slightly nose down at take-off speed.

The pilot keeps glancing at ASI until it gets to the POH rotate speed then will often say "XX kts rotate" then looks up and pulls back very weakly - the nose pitches up slightly and the aircraft is now balanced evenly on all 3 wheels and the speed is indicating 5-10 knots above the quoted rotate speed, the nose wheel starting to vibrate and more runway is disappearing - you can hear and feel the front wheel sigh in relief as it finally gets airborne as they finally pull enough to break contact and the aircraft zooms upwards

I have to admit in response to this I often will suggest the pilot take some weight off the nose as the aircraft picks up speed on the take-off roll, not necessarily to get the nose-wheel up and airborne but to stop the aircraft pushing down on the nose-wheel and avoid a too high take-off speed and subsequent stress on the nose-wheel.

Watching many training aircraft from the side of the runway whilst observing solos, you can see the nose pitch up slightly and the nose wheel oleo extend some way before the nose-wheel actually breaks contact with the tarmac. With the nose pitched up, I think many may believe the wheel is 2" above the runway when it is actually still in contact with the ground.

I do agree, trying to get the nose-wheel airborne as soon as possible is not a great idea and the POH technique is correct however I think there are some subtleties involved in getting pilots to actually do it.

my 2c