PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the Tecnam P92 Echo and Old Wives Tales
Old 24th Apr 2021, 18:03
spinex

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts
I'll bite. As is so often the case, the answer amounts to; it depends. I too was taught the technique when converting a GA licence to RA Aus certificate in a P92 and whilst I can attest that a moderately strong crosswind from the left will convince you to leave the little wheel planted a little longer, in more benign conditions there is merit in the often repeated maxim that a nose wheel is merely there for taxiing and that once on the runway, the aircraft should be operated as God intended ie. as if it had a tailwheel. Couple of reasons. One being that the nosegear is a weak point on the light structures necessitated by aircraft with a MAUW of 544 or 600kg - just ask the various GA schools flying Slings, Foxbats, Tecnams and the like. Secondly, compared to a traditional Cessna or Piper trainer, a P92 is a high performance aircraft, with far lighter and more effective controls, along with a markedly greater power to weight ratio. Even a fairly hamfisted student quickly learns to finesse the attitude to unload the nosewheel and on the grass strip I flew from, the rudder pedals communicated this state pretty effectively. Thirdly, even your legacy Piper/Cessna POH, can be somewhat less authoritative than the scriptures (ask John Deakin) and that goes all the more for less rigorous standards governing LSA.

I quite agree that instructors are far from immune from perpetuating old wives tales ( slipping with flap anyone ), but I'd be wary of automatically dismissing hands on experience in favour of technique by the book only. Besides, whilst I am highly unlikely to experience a low visibility takeoff in a Meteor, I do question the relevance in relation to a day VFR bugsmasher.