PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just your honest opinion
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2021, 10:46
Uplinker

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts
Apply to everyone, every operator you can think of. I sent out dozens and dozens of CVs when I was starting out, (and I was not much younger than you are now). Seriously, send out as many CVs with covering letters as you can, Call in favours from friends and family. Ask all the people you know or are acquainted with in the flying industry for help, recommendations, and introductions.

Forget failures, as long as you passed all the exams in the end - I wouldn't even mention it. They get thousands of CVs and need a way to reduce the pile. Don't give them a reason to put yours in the bin, I doubt they will even check.

Highlight your transferable skills from your previous employments, and the flying you have done. Flying fire aircraft is a particular skill that should help you stand out amongst all the C172 equivalents out there.

Write to the chief pilot in person of a selected few airlines you really want to work for. Put on a tie and take your letter in person to the head office.

Your first job might be quite - night mail or cargo in ancient turboprops - but stick it out and then move on when you can.

I did most of the above. I also drove 240 miles straight, 4 hours in the car, just to chat with a fleet manager. He told me he wasn't interviewing until next week, but when I got there he interviewed me anyway and I got my first flying job.

In the meantime, build up your hours by glider towing, do your MCC etc, and look into all the air taxi and mail operators.

Good luck !