PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why I Love Being an Aircraft Engineer
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2021, 09:57
Corrosion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not actual "old stallion", but spent 35years on mechanical side of aviation. I had private pilot license on my younger days too, which gave good sight to pilot's perspective and helped a lot to understand their way of thinking...
Started with general aviation. Still doing it time to time because it is fun and love to see how simple things can be.

With bigger aircrafts, i have spent years with turboprops and jets which all gave me their own joys. (or nightmare) Being lucky to work long period for airliner which had several different types of aircrafts on fleet, some of them at the same time. Nightmare for logistics, and maybe for us too, but it really kept your head spinning.
(EMB-110, J31/32, SF340/S2000, F28-3000, RJ85/100, MD-90, B717) What a fleet... but it really shapes individuals skills on aircraft maintenance...
All this includes mixed line/hangar work, for me part of the fleet included borescoping work with engines and this gave some headache due to bit "problematic" engines... LF507. But after all it really boosts knowledge and your ability to understand systems
Later on, did short ~2years trip overseas. Line work with another sophisticated British-made machine, J41. Trip changes to heavy maintenance hangar work with my all time favourite aircraft BAe RJ, and Airbus A320-family as one of the guys "with stamp". Met very nice people there, which gave a lot more new things to think about.

Back to home. Spent +2years on small-ish private MRO with two different department, business jets and airliner line maintenance. Again, something new to absorb, especially on business jets side. Line was line, mainly on apron which is not that interesting anymore for ageing engineer. One interesting project was eng changes for customer Airbus fleet, tight schedule projects which came sometimes just one at the time or could be 3 to 5 on row. Not that difficult job to do but you must focus to flow and paperwork to get work done on time, and like on other heavy maint you have customer rep following you.

Now, my new area of interest is helicopters, with national operator. Changed work due to another reasons than actual work itself.
Funny enough, this operator is having Garrett powered fixed wing aircrafts too... and being experienced with those my first job was to attend one of them maint check which includes prop and eng change. Prop is ok, but getting myself in the middle of Garrett fully mechanical power/speed control adjustments after 23years.. well, it wasn't walk in the park due to long "no touch" to TPE331 controls.
Anyway, all this is what is needed to keep my "love" live.

Last project is somewhat "agricultural" machine again, old AB412 heli. Well, something different for me at least, New systems, and requires VERY ankward working positions.

Will keep on going as long as my legs are carrying me, i am more than happy to share my collected knowledge for younger people if they are interested. One thing which really warm my heart is to find young people who really are interested of their work, not only collecting money.