PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robin 2160 Alpha Sport
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2021, 08:26
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
You will note that the manual warns that during spins in excess of three revolutions the engine may stall. Robin et al have no concerns with this as the engine will spontaneously restart following recovery. The UK CAA inspector of such things at the time deemed this unacceptable and the aeroplane was thus limited to a maximum of two revolutions in the UK and placarded with the limitation. Having spun the 2160 in excess of three revolutions for many years I only experienced the engine stalling once and it recovered spontaneously in accordance with the manual.

An interesting thing to note with regard to spin recovery. For a display sequence it was effective, after just two revolutions, to simply shove forward on the stick to recover onto a given heading with accuracy. However be warned that after five revolutions and the spin fully developed things are not the same in the 2160. I did this once by way of an experiment: the stick became as if set in concrete and impossible to move forward (obviously over stressing was of concern). Having recovered my wits and after applying the standard recovery technique using maximum opposite rudder the recovery was then achieved normally.

Last edited by Fl1ingfrog; 24th Apr 2021 at 08:54.