PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carlisle-3
Thread: Carlisle-3
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2021, 09:58
nighthawk117

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cant help but feel this is going to be bad for Carlisle Airport in the long run.

Stobart Group were a large, profitable company with considerable experience in project management and delivery. They also had experience in running an airport through Southend. Ettyl are a startup with no assets, no revenue and no experience.

I dont see how Carlisle fits in to their plans. They wanted to launch flights from the Isle Of Man, initially as a virtual carrier, but eventually getting their own AOC. Buying Stobart Air helps them get that AOC, so that part makes sense. But buying Carlisle Airport doesnt fit. I can't help but feel Stobart Group insisted they take it off their hands as part of the deal. I suspect Ettyl will have little interest in the airport, other than keeping it ticking over.

Stobart Air will lose the Aer Lingus contract in 2022, after which the intention seems to be to develop them as a regional carrier. That market looks pretty saturated right now with Loganair and Eastern picking up most of the ex-flybe routes, and Flybe themselves planning to restart later this year. I just don't think there's going to be room for Ettyl. I suspect they will be bankrupt by 2023. And where does that leave Carlisle Airport then?