PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Air Touring Club - Biggin Hill: History Sought
Old 21st Apr 2021, 08:27
treadigraph
Gnome de PPRuNe

Received 294 Likes on 162 Posts
I first visited Biggin in '75 with the Scouts for a ride in a Rallye (G-BAOI) from ATS. During school holidays there were very few weeks I didn't bus, cycle or occasionally walk (14 mile round trip!) up at least once, often two or three times in the late '70s and early '80s. Nearly always something interesting to be seen and if 29 was in use, I'd sit with my back against the blast pen wall close to Sportair's hangar and watch the comings and goings... security guard would do his rounds and stop to say "hello". None of this access road business, if you wanted to go to ATS, you went round the peri-track.

Looking at Google Maps now, I see the eastern end of 29 and the grass to the north of it is now becoming a vast apron, and I assume hangars will appear.

The first Tobago at ATS in '79 was a complete surprise, I'd never heard anything about the type! I reckon every TB-9/10/20 that joined the UK register went through their hands for at least 10 years. Looking at Flight Tracker, I still see the familiar registrations pop up occasionally! Now it's full of Spitfires which is perhaps a good replacement - but a shame ATS and Sportair disappeared...

No, you can't go back...

Do we need a Biggin-specific thread?