PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC - Adult Helper
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2021, 10:59
Doobry Firkin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pasta
This happens all over the place. I need a DBS clearance to be treasurer of my local scout group. When Scout HQ screwed up the paperwork, causing my clearance to be delayed, I received a snotty letter from some senior so-and-so, forbidding me from performing any part of my role, including attending committee meetings.
I had the opposite with becoming an ATC CI - DBS / PVG came through in under a month but it took Wing HQ over 10 months to sort out my paperwork to get me a Service Number and 'officially' be on the books. Then they had the neck to backdate it all about 9 months then give me grief for not having carried out training I couldn't do until everything was rubber stamped but was supposed to be done within 3 months of everything being sorted - one quick email to the office waller involved and a few people above them (all the way to regional commandant) let them know exactly what I thought. Fortunately my OC is great and he waded in as well and told them where to go.

I've also had someone wo was a Sqn OC shout at me as a CI in a hangar in front of Cadets and other staff because my OC requested changes to a pick up route for the bus for an activity and there were problems as a result, as if it was all my fault that WG HQ messed up - I quickly defaulted back into an Ex-SNCO with 23 years in the real air force and put them back in their box where they stood.

Once in and everything running it's enjoyable and good seeing the cadets grow and expand their experiences, the BS that comes with it all can get a bit much at times.