PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC - Adult Helper
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2021, 10:33
Carcharodon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, at a Sqn level, your previous aviation experience is actually more of a problem than asset. As has been stated elsewhere in the thread, many see it as a way of getting what they couldn't in the "real" Air Force and so build mini empires. As a former ex regular GD/P I have now been involved in the Air Cadets as initially a RAFVR(T) officer (a "proper" Commission) and now RAFAC (waste of paper) for 33 years. I continue to find that the empire builders (a few officers but mostly the senior non coms) really do not like ex regular officers and continually try to scent mark me. With the general decline in flying over the years it has become the Royal Adventure Training and Drill Force and occassionaly Air Cadets. These Walters (and you can see in their Facebook page that they think they are regular WOs!) do not like the fact that Pilots are taught to think differently from some grunt on a drill square, and the number of arguments I have had about whether I can wear my Forage Cap or leather jacket (which I can under both AP1368 and AP1358C) are too many.
If you are still flying then a much better bet is either the AEF's on the Grob (when they fix their little rudder problem) or the VGS gliders -flying units with the right attitude. If not flying then maybe one of the newish AGS units which use synthetic PTT to prepare the cadets for the future flying.
I will also back up everything that Teeteringhead and Air Pig say. If you go to a Sqn you might hit lucky with the staff, but expect some dislike of your wealth of experience somewhere in the chain!