PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC - Adult Helper
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2021, 10:13
pasta

Received 236 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by teeteringhead
2. DBS clearance is quite correctly required for those dealing with young people, and the requirement was equally correctly extended to Staff Cadets (aged 18+) who are legally adults. However, the DBS requirement is for those who have regular and unsupervised access to young people (my italics). This was in many cases interpreted (don't recall whether it was HQAC policy) as no access at all. So the potential CI, having signed all the paperwork, was (in many cases at least) effectively banned from the Squadron until the clearances arrived - and we know how long that could be. Many didn't bother to wait.
This happens all over the place. I need a DBS clearance to be treasurer of my local scout group. When Scout HQ screwed up the paperwork, causing my clearance to be delayed, I received a snotty letter from some senior so-and-so, forbidding me from performing any part of my role, including attending committee meetings (where I suspect I'm the youngest member present) or even signing cheques.

Back on topic, I've just started investigating whether my gliding club can do something with oneof the local ATC squadrons. Feedback from those who've tried it before is along the lines of "Definitely investigate, would be great if we can get some cadets flying, but don't be surprised if you get push-back from someone senior, for unspecified military reasons". Certainly, all the Air Cadets I know at civilian gliding clubs got into the sport through their own/parents' initiative rather than via the ATC; it's effectively a parallel activity for them. That's great, and good on them for having the initiative, but there must be more than a few less-outgoing individuals who are missing out...