PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC - Adult Helper
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2021, 08:13
teeteringhead

Gentleman Aviator

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts
Old-Duffer

You speak - as always - much that is wise and all that is the truth. I agree with much of what you say and admire your stance on a point of principle; it is irrelevant whether or not I agree with you. ("I may not agree with what you say.....")

You will know that I was (and still am) involved with the Air Cadet Organisation; my view is that most problems stem from two not disconnected strands: risk aversion and a lack of connection with the "front line" where the work is done. I can call on many anecdotes illustrating this - as I am sure can you - but will content myself here with four.

1. At the time of the volcanic dust cloud from the Icelandic volcano with the unpronouncable name, there was a pause (before THE PAUSE) in all glider flying, because of concerns on dust effects on aero engines. But that pause included the winch-launched Viking. Er.......

2. DBS clearance is quite correctly required for those dealing with young people, and the requirement was equally correctly extended to Staff Cadets (aged 18+) who are legally adults. However, the DBS requirement is for those who have regular and unsupervised access to young people (my italics). This was in many cases interpreted (don't recall whether it was HQAC policy) as no access at all. So the potential CI, having signed all the paperwork, was (in many cases at least) effectively banned from the Squadron until the clearances arrived - and we know how long that could be. Many didn't bother to wait.

Now my personal favourites

3. The first concerns required staff/cadet ratios for activities. I forget the exact figures, but the requirement was increased if the activity was above a certain height amsl. However, some Squadrons in Wales and Scotland had their bases above that height, and by the letter of the law would have needed to increase the ratios outside their own front door.

4. And finally, one about rank. I knew of a squadron officer in the rank of Flt Lt who was appointed as a Wing Staff Officer (very part time for some activity or other) which carried the (unpaid) rank of Sqn Ldr, with potential embarrassment for the OC when on the Sqn. HQAC's initial solution? "Couldn't they be a Flt Lt on the Squadron and only wear Sqn Ldr rank when on Wing Staff duties.......?" !!!

But all that said, the spirit is still very much there in very many places - and that "first flight grin" still inspires whenever I see it.