PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC - Adult Helper
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2021, 06:23
Old-Duffer

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I joined the ATC at 14 in Feb 58 and moved to adult service at 19. On leaving regular service, I first became a CI and then was recommissioned in the RAFVR(T) at a school CCF. During that time, I was also employed as a Wing Admin Officer for several years.

There were many things wrong with the air cadets but on the plus side there were huge incentives - I never tired of seeing the smile on a cadet's face after their first AEF flight etc. Furthermore, several commandants started to expand what the cadets could do and align some of the stuff with civilian qualifications. Unfortunately, things became too risk averse but having coped with the the LGB in LGBT, I could not accept the 'T' bit, as I viewed this as possibly being complicit in drugs and possible surgery, which was irreversible. Furthermore, I discovered that some 45 % of under 25s who had 'reassigned' their gender, had also attempted suicide. I judged this as indicating much deeper emotional issues and there were practical issues re camps and accommodation. As I could not support the transgender policies, the only honourable thing to do was resign and a few months before I would have received another clasp to my Cadet Forces Medal (CFM), of which I am enormously proud, I did so. The letter I received from HQ Air Cadets acknowledging my service was fairly close to: 'Dear Sir or Madam'.

I believe, nonetheless, that the air cadets is one of the best youth organisations in the country - if not the best. Unfortunately, the politics and risk aversion require some skill to be navigated safely and the complaints procedure is awful, often used to challenge orders with which one does not agree.

Old Duffer