PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2021, 10:57
lc_461

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ruprecht
Looks like the PM is going full McGowan for the election:

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...15-p57jmo.html

...and surprise, surprise. A goal of ‘zero community transmission’ means the vaccine rollout timeline is unimportant.

I actually don't interpret this narrative negatively. I think the past two weeks or so he has been trying to slowly and stealthily steer the long term narrative towards slowly opening up. I heard mentioned about him wanting the states to stop giving daily case number updates etc, and to agree to keep the internal borders open. For the last year, we have associated Covid with death and disaster. I think they are trying to get to the stage where the vulnerable are vaccinated and protected, so when the young get sick in general they aren't dying in overwhelming numbers... life to go on.

The challenge is the state governments (no elections to win this year..) and the media have led an absolute hysteria over every aspect of this crisis - ie the government is slammed by the media for picking a suboptimal vaccine which we could make onshore (a reasonable choice at the time), which now many don't want, and in the next breath is slammed for not having said vaccines to roll out immediately!

A challenge now will be for the government to overcome vaccine hesitancy in the population, regardless of supply bottlenecks.