PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC - Adult Helper
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2021, 06:34
phil9560

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chevvron
I got the definite impression that a few of the officers in my wing only took a commision in order to have an excuse to buy a No 5 and attend 'functions' in the mess at our parent station.
When I took over as OC of a squadron which was about to be disbanded and rescued it, I couldn't have done so without the support I got from an ex RAF JNCO who was already there serving as a CI.

One incident I've never forgotten.
We had a summer camp at RAF Valley.Cue loads of excited lads thinking loads of Hawks so bound to be a fair chance of a ride in a jet.Anyway 2 slots became available at very short notice.Unfortunately the bulk of the 2 ATC squadrons were visiting Wylfa power station with maybe half a dozen lads from both squadrons still on the base.So one trip was allocated to each squadron.Unfortunately the only cadet on base from our squadron was too small for the ejection seat and couldn't fly.Guess who took the ride instead ? One of our VR officers.And worse he was heard to say 'well I wasn't letting one of their lads have it '. 'Their lads' meaning the other squadron of cadets.