PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A 'Budgie' for Scotland
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2003, 17:38
RileyDove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Control - the certainly are restraints in terms of money received from government . However the current plan is that the hangar will be totally emptied and the occupied solely by the Concorde.
How many other collections can you think of where one new exhibit joins and many others are reduced to storage?
I am aware of your connection - the Chipmunk in particular
bears my fingerprints but she is one that is now out of sight.
The draw of a Concorde to the general public is undenyable
but it's also worth pointing out that it will require an enormous investment in the coming years to keep it in pristine condition.
The remit of preserving Scottish aviation history is of prime consideration. Whilst the non-aviation minded public does indeed
dictate by voting with their feet you could also argue that if you
need 'crowd pullers' to bring people in it would be possible to
have for example 'a jet' , 'a holiday jet' ,'a helicopter' and the particular type be of no importance. I think in some ways enthusiasts underestimate the general public's ability to be drawn
into and absorb the history of enhibits. The Turbulent for example
isn't awesome to look at but Scottish people can relate to it and I am sure they enjoy it - a far more sexier American single could be in it's place but it wouldn't be Scottish born and I think that does matter.

Having spoken to yourself on occasion I am sure your aware of my interest - to me types like the Hurricane play a large part in Scottish aviation history -whilst I cannot wave a wand I feel that possibly one positive effect of the Concorde grant might be an increasing interest in the activities at East Fortune and the potential for more money.

Last edited by RileyDove; 13th Dec 2003 at 18:05.