PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stranded pilot refused fuel in Antarctica
Old 13th Dec 2003, 16:39
Red Wine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Give him a break.....

Whilst I have been critical of ill prepared thrill seekers, normally with the minimum of qualifications, undertaking what we do nearly every day then claiming some silly claim to fame and then being internationally recognized as some type of Hero!!!....critical YES….Jealous…NO.

Not that I have ever met this Aussie chap, but know a few who have, and by all accounts he is no fool, just loves flying and stretching his bladder.

Recently I was flying across Asia in a multi crew IFR twin and not only had to divert due to unknown storms on track, but had to turn 90 degrees and without diplomatic approvals, declared a Technical Landing Request and landed in a foreign country with them only having 50 minutes of warning…..refueled, shook hands, [would have loved to have stayed the night] and departed with smiles and friendly waves from the locals.
I was not planning this diversion [but knew it was there if I needed it], and neither was this Fixed Wing Chap [at least this landing proves he planned correctly].

Pity he was not given the same courtesy [as expected (if not required by ICAO) when a Technical Landing is requested] as I was, but then again he was an Aussie not a Yank.

With all that fuel onboard, he should have landed at an Aussie base and had Christmas with them. {and still could}.

Nick....Are you having a bad weekend...or are we seeing the true Nick????