PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Short pilots
Thread: Short pilots
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2021, 20:20
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The queue to join an Airline in NZ/Aus is long and experienced at the moment, with a lot of Redundant/Stood down Pilots waiting to get their Job backs. Air NZ for example, have agreed that once all Link Pilots are recalled, any additional Link Recruitment will first be offered to Redundant Jet Pilots. I don't think we'll see a shortage for a few years to come. Even if flying return to 2019 levels, Airlines will be much leaner trying to recoup their COVID losses.

Other Regions, such as the ME, who took a heavy handed approach to Redundancies and aren't exactly known for their employee relations will likely be in need of experienced operators on the COVID rebound. I know a few who were laid off from the ME3, after the initial shock wore off and they found their feet, very few have any intention of returning... described it as a blessing in disguise.

In the longer term however, I'd say yes, there absolutely will a shortage. How many High School grads just went through Lockdowns while seeing the tourism industry decimated with thousands of redundancies and thought "I'm going burden myself with $100k debt to become a Pilot so I can drive a Bus when the next virus hits!"

And lets be honest... there will be another "Virus" for most of us.