PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC - Adult Helper
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2021, 12:49
unmanned_droid

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Both uniformed and non-uniform staff in my squadron represented a range of differing people and personality types. They taught me a lot about 'people' in the 5 years I attended.

A couple were amazing, a couple really flawed (one now senior wing officer...) and someone who tried it on with a couple of the lads (jail time and life completely ruined).

I considered going back as staff, but after talking to a few I realised the ATC was nothing like I remembered from the 90s and would probably be nothing but a ballache for me, as an adult. Maybe it was for the staff back then. I know my first CO and his 2IC (married couple) put a great deal of effort and time in to it and I hope they were rewarded in seeing their cadets do well. I owe them for helping me get as many flying courses and opportunities as possible.

The guys I flew with and worked around as a long term staff cadet at an AEF were almost universally great. These were the people I looked up to and wanted to be like.

Just like all forces training staff, if you take part, you have the opportunity to change some peoples lives and the direction that they take, but perhaps, in the cadet forces this is more acute since you're exposing young people from the age of 13 upwards to all kinds of 'adulting' that maybe they're not getting at home or elsewhere. There's still a range of outcomes for the young people, you're not moulding a master race, but for a few it will be extremely beneficial.