PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pre-war home movies: gliding site and Croydon ca. 1934
Old 12th Apr 2021, 19:47
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Croydon TC Airshow

Well Treads BTC and myself took part in the anniversary air show in 1980, and there is plenty of room for another.
The new 'Roundshaw Estate' had been built, but I thought it had some mini tower blocks, were they demolished later for more conventional housing.
The Air Show was 'enabled' by the local council, and indeed it was 'interesting' being allowed to operate on this historic site.
It is nice that the tarmac 'turn and go' bit is still there and the drone shoot also covers the original airfield site over at Plough Lane and Foresters drive.
Oodles of room for a air show, or even another airfield, nice that so much remains.
I happened to be there on the day in 1960 that several Beveleys flew over low level to drop the local TA Para company as part of the Croydon Town Millenary celebration.
The grass on the old (closed 1959) airfield was quite high and dozens of troopers were to be seen 'wading' through all of this carrying their chutes towards the old terminal block.
Be nice to see some footage of that (the sound of multiple Centaurus was amazing).