PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2-6
Thread: Jet2-6
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2021, 15:08
pug

Received 86 Likes on 51 Posts
Vokes55

Youre wrong, I know they know what they’re doing. It’s ok for a faceless spotter on PPrune to suggest they could do better, but fact is they have weighed up the options and decided that it’s not right to re-start their operations until there is more certainty in the market. They are slowly starting to get flight crew back into currency now, they may well still be brokering charters which have always been lucrative in the past. However, their business model is such that they don’t outsource their overseas teams and thus they have clearly decided that to recruit seasonal staff and pay wages to people when there is a high chance they will be doing nothing is not viable - I’m sure there are many other variables which have led them to make this difficult decision too.

You may see TUI chomping at the bit to get flying, but you mustn’t forget that they own overseas hotels and they need to have them filled too. This is something Jet2 doesn’t do, which arguably provides them with much more flexibility contrary to what you are asserting.

Whilst I’m sure your concern is appreciated, perhaps leave it to the experts? After all, this is undoubtedly the most challenging period facing civil aviation since 1945! It goes without saying that they are suffering financially, as are many others in the industry, but they’re not scratching round behind the sofa for loose change just yet.

Rt Hon Jim Hacker MP

Hit the nail on the head! To press on with even a limited program which could prove more costly than keeping the aircraft on the ground is a risk they are clearly unwilling to take.