PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2021, 14:22
TCAS FAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
adfly

It would be a shame if the airport operator repeats the previous mistake of not extending the taxiway system. to counter the increased 20 backtrack problem that the runway extension will cause, during the time that the plant is on-site during construction.

While a taxiway change,as indicated, will require CAA approval, it may not require planning consent, being possible under Permitted Development Rights. Is there a Town and Country Planning expert who could comment on this?

From memory the Section 106 Agreement related to the original planning consent for BAA's re-development only included future development at the north end of the runway which I believe was due to noise issues for those living in Southampton Road and Campbell Road.This has obviously been satisfied by the recent extension planning consent.

On the subject of the Section 106 Agreement (which is still in place), there is a provision in it covering runway extension whereby the expectation is that an application for an extension should not be made, but if it was it should not exceed a total runway length of 2000 metres. The expectation of no application was subsequently interpretted by a past airport MD as the runway can never be extended, something that he used to frequently quote to all and sundry.

This was the same MD who had the Short Term Car Park built, against the advice of his Ops staff (me included), up to the western apron edge, thereby stopping most future Stand development to accomodate nose-in B737/A320 parking.

How I miss Bl***y Awful Airports Plc!