PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2-6
Thread: Jet2-6
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2021, 09:47
Vokes55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bam Thwok

Not sure what your point is there, Jet2 missed an important week of revenue in half term by cancelling their Canaries flights prematurely. By the time Jet2 had managed to scramble together a flying program, the half term had finished and the second lockdown had begun. Their competitors were flying full aircraft to the Canaries in their absence. My point entirely, they’ve made this mistake before.

If the government say that travel to Malta, Faro, Madeira, the Canary Islands and some Greek islands are on the “green list” from May 17th, or even early June, the company are going to be once again scrambling to throw a flying program together and claw back some bookings, whilst their competitors have kept all flights/holidays, allowing those with existing bookings to go ahead and those with bookings to destinations that aren’t available the chance to change directly to holidays that are available.

January was a different story - Im not sure anybody expected the government to make it illegal to leave your own country - but what exactly did they achieve by cancelling until the end of March a week before everyone else, as it turned out? And cancelling a few holidays that barely break even in March is different to cancelling potentially 6 weeks of the season that keeps you in business.

People like to bleat on about them “putting the customer first”, but it I was a customer with a booking to somewhere that was likely to be accessible from June, I’d be, once again, taking my money to a competitor. I don’t think any other airlines or tour operators have been criticised by customers for waiting for official advise before cancelling their programs.