PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The South China Sea's Gathering Storm
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2021, 17:26
West Coast

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...merican-empire

Niall Ferguson (see the link) has a pretty good article on the elephant in the room - what about Taiwan? - that has remained an open question between the US and China for over 50 years. In the meantime, Taiwan has carved out a niche in the global economic system.
Mr Biden will be tested, and the question is (for me): was the "pivot to the Pacific" too late when President Obama finally made it an overt aspect of American policy? (For my money, GHW Bush was far too optim1istic in his "after the wall came down" assessment of the Pacific Rim). I spent a lot of years grinding my teeth at what I saw as willful negligence ... (rant cancelled).

Seventh Fleet is going to have a busy AO for a long time to come: flying, sailing, and submarining.

Interesting, to me, to see how Mr Duterte is playing his piece of the game. Does he think that the Chinese dragon will eat him, the Philippine bison, last?
Staying in theme, I can’t help but laugh at the author characterizing Pompeo as a fox. The two largest economies in the world, locked in a quasi cold war can’t be defined by the singular issue of Taiwan.