PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson Safety Courses
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2003, 11:06
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lu,

before I engage in ANY discussion about actually FLYING a helicopter I would want you to at least hold a private licence for helicopters, else there is no sense discussing this with you.

Just for the heck of it I will post the complete part of the POH you are refering to, just to show that you also conveniently ommit details.

It might take until tuesday to have time for this, but bare with me....

I have no POH at home, but if I remember right, mastbumbing was mentioned in this context, AFTER getting into low-G AND aggresive action of the cyclic.

It also mentions that you should immediately, BUT gently apply aft cyclic - to me as a pilot that means apply a little back pressure, NOT yank the darn thing to the rear stop!

Interpretation again!!

Recommedations are recommedations, Lu, not prohibitions, rules laws. And again, POH's are made to include the least competent pilot possible.

E.G. the POH clearly states:

Aerobatic flight PROHIBITED!
Flight into IMC PROHIBITED!

Can you interprete the difference - Prohibited/Do not recommend??

If they needed to "cover their asses" as you call it, they would have printed PROHIBITED on sideslips and out of trim flight!

"Avoid sideslip during flight. Maintain in-trim flight at all times."
....is a basic recommendation that applies to all helicopters, heck to all aircraft!!

Just because it is emphazised in the Robinson-POH it does not mean that you disintegrate if you do not follow the recommendation! But you will be slower and use more fuel!
It is basic airmanship to keep your aircraft in trim!
But the beauty of the helicopter is, that you can do a lot of interesting and useful things with it, if you know what you do!

.....most of that you will not find in ANY POH!!

3top