PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stranded pilot refused fuel in Antarctica
Old 13th Dec 2003, 09:39
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RD,

you may be right about Jon not knowing about local policies.

However I personally would have guessed myself that this might be the possibly most helpful people you could run across, considering where they live - depending on each other only for short term and emergency help. Maybe that the very people down there are just that, but the station policy may not be made them, but the organisations that run the stations.

Again, Johannson seems well organized. He just did not plan to land where he had to, on the other hand he might after all - in an emrgency!
I am sure, if his plan would have been to land there, he might have had a fuel supply ready. Hell, he even may know about their policy, but as his plan was to go to Argentina, he did not see the need to "waste" money on fuel expiring in the snow ( I understand he plans with quite a bit of reserve-fuel for delays). But if you get unforcast weather you have to decide! His landing on the base was safe procedure and giving him a hand to leave a nice gesture. Instead he gets threadened to loose his source of income (his airplane). He might have wanted to buy the fuel, but where do you buy if the only source refuses to sell - and just to make a statement!!

I will try to find out more!

3top