PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TUI planes takes off 1200 kg overweight after software error
Old 10th Apr 2021, 22:53
First_Principal

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Given the increasing use of software/firmware in various aspects of the transport fleet today (not just aircraft) I think this is the most important point to have come out of this incident.

What is worrying to me is that the country in which the software was written is not identified in the report. If a report is to have validity, and to be of some use in preventing future incidents or accidents, then I would expect full disclosure on causal factors.

As this report rests at the moment, if I was relying on software for a critical task 'written in a[nother] country' I'm still none the wiser as to whether I should be checking/expecting such errors to occur. If I was charged with conducting the 'initial risk analysis' on a system for example I'd like to have a headsup as to whether this is an area I should consider at increased risk of error should the software/system originate from say, Norway, India or Russia for example?

The following excerpt from the report shows what I consider to be a deficiency in the report and which could itself lead to further non-identification of risk factors (my underlining):

"The incident occurred due to a simple flaw in the programming of the IT system, which was
due to the meaning of the title ‘Miss’ being interpreted by the system as a child and not an
adult female. This was because in the country where the system was programmed, Miss is
a child and Ms is an adult female. This issue had not been identified as part of the initial risk
analysis
and did not manifest itself during the trial simulations."