PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - White - Red STROBE LIGHTS and Anti-Col Lights
Old 13th Dec 2003, 08:51
oxi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If ya got em, use em. But I minimise the landing light theory as they tend to burn out quickily.

I don't understand pilots that don't use any strobe white or red, in my opinion the only time they should be off (subject to one's personal prefference is at night whilst taxing, and at night in cloud.

Having said that I like to leave them on for night ops as they alert you when your in cloud. 'And the ice can follow quickily afterwards'.

If I'm operating in any airport enviroment I will operate all lights avaiable, 1st battery on with the tail fin red strobe and 2nd once the gene is on so are all the strobes and position lights.....not the landing lights. As I said above minimal use of these, sava'em for when you need'em.

Shocking watching a pilot sitting in their helo with landing lights blaring away. All unawares of whats happening, whilst doing pre-start and t/o checks.

Position lights don't do much during a clear and sunny day, but if catches someone attenchion then fantastic.

I think all oft the above is very important if operating in a nosy enviroment, such as around other helicopters and aircraft with apu's running,