PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2021, 14:06
Rivet Joint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

As another poster has said, get the spades in the ground ASAP!

There is no parallel taxiway planned for this stage of works. There was in the previous master plan. In the new plan they indicated that the runway would be linked to end of the stands at some point which would cut the backtracking time a bit. I guess the volume is not there to proceed with that yet but it seems silly not to put that bit down whilst all the machinery is there for the extension works.

Also lets not bring the SOU v BOH debate back on this thread as it is irrelevant. They are very different businesses and FR and BY are very unlikely to ever operate at SOU given their preference for a 1960s derived plane in the 737. Also BOH's sun routes are well established and will always be served. If I was BOH I would be focusing on growing the new cargo ops which have a lot of potential that SOU will never be able to serve. would like to think it would be much more productive for us to discuss what airlines could be possible candidates to open routes at SOU. It does not just have to be a low cost operator. Maybe the extension will enable ops for other CRJ, ERJ, A220 etc ops? I know some of the variants of those regional jets cannot operate at SOU at the moment.