PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2021, 21:50
mrshubigbus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a point that nobody in any of the meetings or on the forums seems to have touched upon. How long is Southampton's runway? How long is London City's runway? How many pax did SOU have prior to the pandemic and Flybe's demise? How many pax did London City have prior to the pandemic? SOU is a regional business airport, always has been always will be. BOH is the holiday airport, always has been always will be. The argument that SOU cannot continue to thrive as a regional business airport with the odd longer flights to Spain etc without a 164M runway extension is utter rubbish. The claim that 2500 jobs will be at risk? Why? The difference between SOU and LCY is that one is in the City of London and the other the City of Southampton. If the business needs of SOU only justify a throughput of up to 2 million pax a year then so be it. It doesn't stop the occasional charter flights to Palma, Alicante, Malaga and Faro etc going ahead as they were when Flybe operated them before and BA City Flyer / Volatea have said they will operate in future with the current runway length. The longer charter flights and low cost airlines will stay at BOH. Why does this "status quo" have to change? Will someone please give us a convincing case why an extra 164M of tarmac is required to continue with a business that was already thriving before? Businessmen don't need business flights from SOU to Spain and beyond - FULL STOP. Not going ahead isn't going to destroy the business SOU already had - FULL STOP! The list of summer 2021 airlines and destinations posted on here on the 28th March suggests to me that a very healthy state of affairs is already in the planning with no runway changes whatsoever. That's seven airlines operating to nearly 30 routes all over Europe as far as Gibraltar and Mykonos. Please correct me if I'm wrong or I might have missed something glaringly obvious?

Last edited by mrshubigbus; 9th Apr 2021 at 22:11.