PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United Release on Diversity in the Cockpit
Old 9th Apr 2021, 11:16
Peter47

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As a matter of interest what proportion of pilots are recruited from the military? And what the gender and ethnic split of military pilots?

With 40% of the U.S. population non-white the 50% combined target for women & non-white groups may well be reasonable. Where I am more dubious is Joyce at Qantas suggesting he wants 50% of cadets to be female. I don't know about Oz but here in the UK the majority (55% - 60%) of entrants to medical doctors and lawyers are female (as indeed are the entrants to university and good for women for being ambitious). You have to accept that as a result of personal preferences not every profession will be split 50/50 between men & women - there is only one male teacher out of over 20 at a primary school near me. Isn't the point about diversity that people are different?

Its good to see a cadet scheme, hitherto lacking amongst US airlines (except recently JetBlue) and everyone of ability regardless of colour, gender or social background should be given an equal chance to participte.