PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson Safety Courses
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2003, 05:52
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone,

I will be in my second safety course by tomorrow.

Any questions to ask Tim Tucker?
Answers posted immediately!!

I will ask Tim a couple of questions relating to previous posts on this thread - mastbumping, sideslips, etc.

To Lu:
I can't find ANYTHING in the POH that would RESTRICT or PROHIBITE off-trim flight or sideslips!!

The closest I can find is:

"To avoid these conditions, pilots are URGED to follow these recommendations:...."

As mentioned before the POH is written to include people that barely maintain their abilities, 30 hrs per year/sunday afternoon pilots. When things get interesting, it is the best advice to follow these recommendations.

On the other side of the spectrum, I did and do plenty of max speed (about 40 kts, GPS based) 70° to 90° sideways flights (sideslips?) for areal filming and I do not feel any increased flapping!

I do not move the cyclic a lot either....
By the way the R-44 flies sideways just fine, a lot better than the EC120B. At 40 kts I just run out of pedal.

I was doing this already before I attended my first safety course and because of a thread on pprune relating specifically to the R-brand I asked about it. Though I did not get official approval as a factory recommended maneuver, it was made clear, that if done with "the brain switched ON" there is no problem with it.

Actually I asked what the max sideways speed was, as I was doing 35-40 and the manual states 18 kts. Tim said he would not "know" (I guess he would not "say") the actual limit, but the 18 kts was only the demonstrated crosswind capability - all that was required for certification. That's all they did....

Like always, know your limits!

Okay guys, your questions please, I have Tim standing right outside in the hangar!!

Got to go,

3top

Last edited by 3top; 13th Dec 2003 at 07:06.