PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Crossover Angle of attack
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2021, 11:03
320busboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SavedByTheTCAS

I doubt it. All 3 actuators are simultaneously operational on the rudder. Unlike the other surfaces except elevator which can activate both in the event of saturation.

it’s a pretty cool system. Basically there is an input rod that goes from the bottom of the rudder at the quadrant to the top. If simultaneously actuated all 3 actuators via an individual spring rod to the servo part of the valve. You have an input to the rod, it moves the input lever to all servos and the servo moves nulling out the command. If one servo was to jam there is an individual spring rod at each servo input. Thereby the other 2 will overpower the failed actuator.

let’s say the input to the rtlu broke. The rtlu is at the top of the rudder. Only effect is no RTLU.

Or if the input at the bottom of the rudder broke. The RTLU has an output on the same arm that drives the rudder, it has a centering spring rod. Which keeps the rudder centred and you have no rudder input. But the rudder stays centred.

or if a rod broke between servos, the servo would be in zero and the others would override it. The middle and upper servo have an additional centering spring rod incase there is a disconnection between the artificial feel and the middle servo actuating lever.

the rudder has an RVDT monitoring the surface position via the SDAC’s so if in the event it moves and it’s not supposed to. I’m pretty sure you will know about it.

in summary. By design, I’d say virtually impossible.