PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Slingsby T.31 Cadet Mk III Last Flights 22 June 1985
Old 7th Apr 2021, 22:14
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
The Best Basic World Class Training System EVER

You could drag those machines out TODAY and the system would still work, all with a minimum of paperwork and such like.
On a weeks course solo's popping off at 19+ launches and everyone doing something and enjoying it.
I still remember my first MK3 ride age 13 with that 'rocket like' climb (apart from the speed) and the fantastic view from that egg crate like cockpit with arms resting on the edge.
If one was lucky enough to get 'employed' as a staff cadet then life was amazing, and probably a life changing experience with decision making and self development. The World has changed dramatically since those days, but I struggle to find a compatible operation that allowed so much freedom and gave so much real experience.
One of the Corps Gliding best attributes were Cadets arriving at a 'school' (as was) to find it being run by other cadets; this was a great boost to the system as it self generated the operation in a very seamless manner.
Anyway get the fretwork fighters back again, dope them in training silver with a yellow trim, throw away the silly goggles** and headsets, and hey ho we could have another
WORLD CLASS BASIC TRAINING TO SOLO SYSTEM again. ** Mk 8's excepted. VERY BEST WISHES TO ALL THAT MADE IT WORK Pobjoy (PC) 615 GS We need a post covid reunion at Kenley for those still around from the 70's before we pop our clogs.