PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mooney accident pilot refused a clearance at 6,500'
Old 6th Apr 2021, 23:38
Lead Balloon

Received 422 Likes on 210 Posts
In the thread about Class E, you said, among other things:
I reckon I may just give Ballina a miss for a while.
On my reading, you said that because of concerns you have about the different risks arising from CAGRO arrangements versus AFIS arrangements.

Is my reading correct?

If yes, you seem to be conceding - in my view perfectly reasonably - that systemic issues may create risks that contribute to accidents: A bunch of little 'problems' lead to a big problem. Indeed, in more enlightened times Australia's transport safety investigations bodies seemed to understand the concept that systemic issues could contribute to accidents - the 'Swiss Cheese' concept.

Do you believe that the one and only cause of the Coffs Harbour Mooney accident was - let's call it - 'poor airmanship'? Yes or no?

Let's take one issue: If the pilot was in fact flying around 'illegally' - that is, without having completed the required aeroplane flight review within the previous two years - why was that not detected by the safety regulator and addressed before the accident? My guess - I have no knowledge of the specific pilot's specific circumstances - is that the review was in fact completed but, as a consequence of the clusterf*ck that is CASA's implementation of Part 61 - of which I do have first-hand knowledge - the 'paperwork fell through the cracks'.

But it's so, so easy and so, so convenient (for Airservices, ATSB and CASA) to give the impression that the pilot was flying 'illegally'. (Again, so much for the 'rule of law'...)

Do you believe that the one and only cause of the Coffs Harbour Mooney accident was - let's call it - 'poor airmanship'? Yes or no?