PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canada Looking at the A330 MRTT procurement
Old 6th Apr 2021, 19:49
SLXOwft

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts
The fleet that's being replaced, the CC-150s, were originally Wardair A310-300s four of which were converted to combi-freighters. The CC-150Ts were upgraded from the later for two-point hose and drogue refuelling and a new mission suite.

Originally Posted by MPN11
Plenty of commonality with NATO and friendly nations too, which is helpful.
Support for allies leads me to the question of refuelling systems. Although the A330 MRTT usually comes with a boom, I wonder if a perceived lack of a domestic requirement means:
1) The fancy new KC-46 boom isn't required.
2) The Bug replacement is expected to be probe equiped with implications for the F-35 as a participant in the selection competition

Mind you its probably non-fuel payload and passenger capacity requirements that were the real deciders. Especially if the fleet split is like for like.

The article linked to by the OP states that Ottawa 'will outline the specific capabilities needed. An RFP (request for proposal) is expected to be issued later this year.' An RFP when you are down to one supplier and one basic product...hmmm.
(GlobalNav posted while I was composing this but I think it still stands)

Last edited by SLXOwft; 10th Apr 2021 at 18:27. Reason: Post crossed with GlobalNav 2nd 2 pt hose not 2 pt house