PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 Missing North of Montreal
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2021, 15:56
malabo

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Sat tracking and relative value is influenced by where you work and what you do. All SAR professionals that I have dealt with in Canada are heavily in favour of it. Every company I have worked for in the past 10 years has sat-tracking. Anything I fly now either has sat-tracking or I bring my own. Given a choice between carrying a PLB and Sat tracking, I'll go sat-tracking every time. 406 vs 121.5 ELT? You're still in the lighting a campfire and sending smoke signals age of rescue, times change. With sat-tracking you'll be in easy 121.5 homing range, if not within 5meters. ELT's fail to work properly 60% of the time. If you are incapacitated you'll never get that PLB out of your bag, but the sat-tracker may just keep blipping out your location. I even give my passengers a spare tracker to keep in their pocket (would have helped the passenger in this crash).

SAR resources here now are also increasingly using cellular phone tech for triangulation and "last ping range" to focus on specific search areas. Always carry a cel phone, and never tell your passengers to turn theirs off, unlike airlines.

One more wealthy guy with his own helicopter that did not get the professionalism required to operate in the remote bush, where you can't just land in a field by a highway and call Uber. And sat-tracking isn't only for the wealthy: 2 minute unlimited tracking all year for less than a tank of fuel, trackers for 1/4 of that. Darwin.