PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To drain or not to drain
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2021, 06:46
Double Back

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TOO, same here, from my airline Years, if the refueling crew made a mistake having too much fuel added, we were in trouble if MTOWt did not allow for it. Most airports would treat is as chemical waste which was horrendously time consuming and expensive to get rid of it.
I feel the same like You that draining directly after refueling is nonsense, and also our field's underground fuel tanks are checked every morning.
For me, with a full day of flying planned, it would be sufficient to have it checked the first flight of the day only. However most flight manuals don't take that option into consideration and thus doing otherwise You are operating against the POH. I work in a certified environment which has yearly audits and it is difficult to "prove" any drifting away from the manufacturer's manual, as being a safe option. Older manuals do not have any consideration for the environment and take the most "safest" option that would get them the lowest chance of being sued after an engine failure with an ending in a loss of life/high cost case.

Noteworthy tip: a long time ago we had one after the other C150/152/172 getting water after having been in the rain. All of them showed cracks around the fuel tank neck area. At that time the airport used an awkward type of fuel pistol, renters tended to hang it in at a shallow angle, even lean on it to glance inside the tank, so it acted as a crow bar. It took a while before everybody was realizing this and finally the fuel company, only after complaining for a long time, changed the pistols. It is probably more likely to happen with high wings with people balancing on stairs.