PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mooney accident pilot refused a clearance at 6,500'
Old 6th Apr 2021, 03:04
Pinky1987

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Smith
If AsA is going to spend the money to install an approach radar control service at Coffs Harbour the allocated airspace would be class C.

However this would clearly be a gross mis allocation of finite safety resources.

Coffs should be D with E above as per the accepted NAS policy. Just like Karatha and Broome.

The pilot would have kept flying en route at 6500’ above the clouds and mountains. It was only a line and a letter C on a map that resulted in him being forced to descend by ATC into the bad wx and a mountain.

He must have had some form of a chart as he knew where to call for a clearance!
question for you Mr Snith. If you only held VFR licence and were in the situation at Coffs, would you have descended into the bad wx or would you have advised ATC that you require to stay at 6500 due wx and require a clearance?
would you really have said to your passenger, sorry mate, there is a roadblock ahead and ATC are forcing me to fly into the low cloud below and I think we could end up hitting the ground at 160mph, I am so sorry, I did not self brief on this flight and we have to go down because the consequences of calling pan are greater than our imminent death. Or would you have said, don't worry mate, I'll let ATC know I can't descend due low cloud and I am going to maintain my present altitude so we don't hit the ground. Pan Pan Pan require clearance! Roger Pan Understood cleared 6500 track .....
seriously Sir, would you not have used the second scenario?

Last edited by Pinky1987; 6th Apr 2021 at 04:20.