PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Channel 9 Under Investigation MAX Promo
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2021, 12:42
FWRWATPLX2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Under Investigation - Boeing 737 Max - Liz Hayes

Please permit me to blow my horn, just a bit. I mean the likes of Byron Bailey spruiks himself as an Aviation Expert, but what is the largest aircraft has he flown as a Captain? I believe his career began in New Zealand as a non-flying crewman.

Though retired, I held ATPL from seven countries. I have flown about 130 different aircraft including single and multi-engine aeroplanes, single and multi-engine seaplanes, single and multi-engine helicopters, a tandem rotor helicopter, two and four engine turboprops and two and four engine jets. I served as a Captain of Boeing 747-400, 747-300, 747-200, 737-800, and 737-700 aircraft. The Boeing 737NG alone, I had flown more than 3,500 hours as a Captain and would rank them as one of my favorite aircraft to fly. I have an Aircraft Mechanic License. Consider I got my start as a lowly Army helicopter pilot. I was trained as a Maintenance Officer and Maintenance Test Pilot. I held Flying Instructor Ratings for aeroplanes and helicopters from two countries. ATPL from two countries for helicopters. Commercial single and multi-engine seaplane.

I know there are Space Shuttle Pilots and A380 Pilots and guys and gals who may have accomplished more, but I would bet I am more of an Aviation Expert than Byron Bailey. Nobody would believe he was a pilot or a Captain, had he not shown up on the program in uniform.

All that said, I cannot understand the beat up of Boeing or the 737 Max.

During the video portion of the 60 Minutes broadcast, with Captain Chris Brady, in the Flight Simulator, you will notice the Stabiliser Trim Wheel is scrolling forward, as a result of the failed MCAS.

The Boeing Quick Reference Handbook (QRH), Chapter 9, page 9.1 "Runaway Stabilizer". That is/was all the Pilots needed to know to deal with the Abnormal situation. Disconnect the Autopilot. It may require both Pilots to hold the Control Column/Yoke. The Stab Trim Cutout Switches should both be immediately moved to CUTOUT (Off) and leave them in CUTOUT, but the Pilot(s) in the accident aircraft switched them back to NORMAL (On).

With the STAB TRIM to CUTOFF, don't experiment by turning it back to NORMAL. If the Trim Wheel still scrolls, with the switches in CUTOFF put your shoe leather against it. That is why it is rubber coated.

Is anyone aware that the Airbus 330 had 338 fatalities and the Airbus 320 had suffered 1,393 fatalities in 17 accidents?

Why isn't anyone going out of their way to shutdown Airbus?

This 60 Minutes broadcast by Liz Hayes was nothing short of sensational tabloid journalism, on the order of trying to analyze the s_ _ t out of the Oprah interview with Harry and Megan.

I am not saying there weren't things that went astray, but every aircraft has suffered problems when they were first released for service. It often takes years for all the wrinkles to be ironed-out in the form of Service Bulletins and Airworthiness Directives, etc. Just think of how many times a QRH has been revised for a particular aircraft.

Boeing builds great aircraft and they haven't paid me to say so. I know it, based on my experience flying them.

Last edited by FWRWATPLX2; 5th Apr 2021 at 12:47. Reason: spelling