PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mooney accident pilot refused a clearance at 6,500'
Old 5th Apr 2021, 08:34
Pinky1987

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick Smith
Yep. I seem to remember in a former lifetime we had E over D just like the USA and Canada!

And Broome and Karratha!

How ever did we end up with the giant roadblock airspace?

Now two unnecessary deaths!

So sad
it is sad. i think his passenger was his son. Apart from the lack of clearance, do you think it was avoidable. He was not licenced to fly, so perhaps a road trip from Murwillumbah to Coffs would have been more appropriate until he was checked as competent for a renewal and he had the appropriate briefings and nav planning like a map or EFB.
would anyone here really fly an aircraft unlicensed with no met briefing, no nav gear and fly over high country in marginal weather? Would anyone take their child up without the legal authorisation to fly and without the required paperwork and nav gear. And you sir have the gall to focus on the airspace as the cause? If he used an EFB App for a couple of hundred bucks, he would have had terrain alerts like I have on my Ipad.
but if he stayed on the ground as he was legally bound to they would have been alive today.
If he had of survived, he would have been charged with illegal operation of an aircraft. If he had of advised ATC he required the clearance due wx, he would have saved himself and his poor son.
Do you acknowledge this pilot should have never started the engine that day due to the findings of ATSB stating multiple breaches of the legislation?