PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Douglas DC-8 Website
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2021, 00:42
tonytales

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a long history of maintaining DC-8. First were Alitalia DC-8-40s at KIDL/KJFK. Then Iberia and Traans Carib DC-8-50's. I even got to work N808, the prototype which had been upgraded to a series 50. It was flying for a charter outfit and I was called out for a hydraulic leak. Dropped gear doors and went up into LH wheelwell. The hydraulic tank and plumbing were not like any DC-8 I had ever seen. Looked again at N number and the light came on.
Going to EAL there were model 21 and 51. It was there, as a Tech Managers I got to fly a DC-8-21 for a few minutes. We were on a test flight halfway to Bermuda with clear airspace. The aircraft was reported to have poor lateral control. We did a few dives and pull-outs with rolls. EAL Engineering Flight Crew, the Captain said, "Let him fly it."
So I did in the F/O seat and there was no reaction to wheel for first 10 degrees each way. Went back into the cabin and looked out, both ailerons were up about three inches with control wheel neutral. Not good. On ground, found lower leg cracked on reversion mechanism fastening it to rear spar completely cracked through on both sides.Turned out, ancient AD required that these mountings be replaced but somehow, these had not been.
Went on to -61 models, earliest of which had considerable wiring glitches. Then my favorite, model, the -63. I wrote about a Rapid Descent into Albuquerque in Airways mag way back. That descent impressed even the Colonel flying Air Force One behind us.
The on to Orion Air (USA) who operated and maintained UPS's model 70's. Those were a real performance gamechanger but the CFM residual thrust made them hard to slow down resulting in a lot more in-flight thrust reversal. Those were hard on the flaps. The DC-8 really could have used a set of speed brakes.
In all, having worked it, gone to Douglas school in Long Beach, taught it as an instructor and troubleshot and managed maintenance on them, I have to say they were my favorite aircraft in my 50 odd year career.

Last edited by tonytales; 5th Apr 2021 at 23:09.