PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reciprocal agreement with the EU on the transfer of UK CAA Flight Crew Licences.
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 19:10
bittersweetheart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
End of the day, BREXIT and leaving EASA was supposedly the will of the people...

To my knowledge, EASA treat all ‘third countries’ the same. And much like the EU, it is a choice to be in or out. No judgement. But expecting special treatment from EASA, especially given the present political situation, might not be completely realistic me thinks..

To be frank. The information about what would happen to UK issued EASA licenses was both clear and readily available well before each and every deadline subsequently extended during the BREXIT negotiations.

As an EU Citizen living, working and raising a family in the UK until recently, keeping my EASA License was one of many BREXIT flavoured reasons why we did our own ‘exit’.

Leaving a good job and a settled life is never easy, but as has been shown, cakeism doesn’t really work when faced with reality... Staying put (and losing my EASA License) would have been a choice with consequences. Our decision to leave was a choice with other consequences, both in terms of career and family life.

On the individual level, this whole EASA vs CAA Licensing issue sucks. But in reality, compared to the grand scale of all things BREXIT, the number of people affected by flight crew licensing sort of pales in comparison.

I sincerely hope that some kind of solution is found in due course. But this ‘EASA MUST RECIPROCATE’ statement is perhaps a tiny bit naive. The UK has unilaterally decided to become a third country to EASA. And now they are. A bit blunt perhaps. But no less true?