PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russia caught stealing NATO and EU secrets in Bulgaria
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 16:33
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
....... Lots of cases where something vital was missed and even more when something may have been spotted but ignored
Or, as in the infamous Able Archer 83 "incident", Warsaw pact Intel was interpreted by the Soviets as suggesting to them that a Nuclear strike was becoming more likely but then the NATO Intel picked up on the increased preparations out East but suspected that Able Archer was the likely cause so did not respond thereby preventing further escalation.

As racedo says, a game played by all sides - at some considerable level of investment - and is all part of a jigsaw! So, some people somewhere, see value in it. I have been reading some recently declassed docs on the U2 "spy flights" which are fascinating and also a couple of books on BRIXMIS. Spent many hours idly watching the std Russian "trawler" bobbing around near the Task Group. Bet they even have me recorded! Now that was exciting for them ..... not!

Unnecessary? Sadly, human nature. In my village, if you want to know anything about anyone there are 3 ladies of a "certain age" who, if you ask any one of them, will have the full Intel on just about anything going on. GCHQ/NSA/SVR/etc could learn a thing or two from these 3!