PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Aerodrome Mk III
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 15:49
OUAQUKGF Ops

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Good Hunch nvubu - Aldeburgh (Hazelwood) Aerodrome is correct. I must admit I had no idea until a month or two ago that there had been an airfield at Aldeburgh.

Putting a bit of flesh on the bone: RNAS Aldeburgh Night Landing Ground commissioned October 1915. Later (1918) RAF Anti Submarine Observers' School - closed 1919.

One of the School's three Blackburn Kangaroos at Aldeburgh. Photo credit Geoff Dewing with thanks.

Credit Mick Davis Cross & Cockade.

I believe there is nothing in the way of buildings on the former aerodrome to be seen today - the last, adjacent to the A1049, being demolished some years back. Buildings, building materials and plant (including a light railway) were auctioned off at the aerodrome on June 27th and 28th 1919. Many wooden building components including The Officers' Quarters were transported to Thorpeness Common where they were re-erected as 'The Uplands'. They can still be found today:https://www.thorpenessandaldringhamh...-blancheflower

Time for a Snifter !

There was a nasty collision between two DH6 aeroplanes while air-testing on May 24th 1919 when three of the four occupants lost their lives.

(Ipswich Museum)

Photo credit: Great War Forum.

Overlooking the Yacht Pond. Stolen - Recast - Recovered. 'The Borough' now has two Snooks.

Further Reading: 'Air Station Aldeburgh' Written and published by Geoff Dewing 1998. IBSN 0 9526416 2 3. My thanks to him for allowing me to reproduce material from this book.

Over to you nvubu !

Last edited by OUAQUKGF Ops; 3rd Apr 2021 at 18:31.