PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of the helicopter is electric.
Old 3rd Apr 2021, 09:51
Arnie Madsen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cattletruck
I must admit I remain very impressed with Oskar's ingenuity, besides the battery limitations I'm sure his rig lets him explore other ideas such as his quad electric tail rotors. If I were ever crazy enough to undertake a similar venture I would relocate the tail rotors to both sides like elephant ears but on shorter booms. This will then allow both sides to provide anti-torque in the hover and when moving forward one side can be reversed so that both sides can provide a propelling force.

Thanks for the graph Reely340, it really does put batteries in perspective (and also wastage of energy by liquid fuels).
As far as the tail rotor , Oskar said he tested many different methods ... and was somewhat surprised that multiple independent small rotors were the best .

It is agreed that the current test model looks like a thorn bush on the end of the boom but I expect he will tidy it up some day ..... on that note it appears that Bell Helicopters came to the same conclusion with their multiple electric tail rotor prototype.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Tesla cars took a giant leap forward with their motors .... something like permanent magnets on the armature itself which makes tremendous torque ... I am not an expert on electrics but have the proper info on a different computer and will post it later.

Oskar is not using a Tesla motor but found something unique for his main power ... later I will post it also.

======================
EDIT to add pictures

Last edited by Arnie Madsen; 3rd Apr 2021 at 10:02.