PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scatsta
Thread: Scatsta
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2021, 12:43
HershamBoys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I e-mailed my MP about continuing participation in EGNOS and the benefits it delivers through LPV 200 operations.... all I got back was vacuous propaganda.....

Thank you for your email. The UK is no longer participating in EGNOS, but we are still working closely in other areas of EU science.
These are exciting times for the UK space sector, as it has new opportunities for further international cooperation. This includes strengthening ties with other countries such as the United States, who launched the first commercial space venture and is leading efforts to return humans to the Moon by 2024, as well as New Zealand, Canada and Australia. We will also further our ambition through our ministerial-level National Space Council and the UK’s Space Strategy will bring long-term strategic and commercial benefits. The UK will remain a leading member of the European Space Agency will continue to work closely with its European partners.
The UK will not seek to access Galileo for defence and critical national infrastructure purposes because the Government will not be able to assure its services, although as with other public access geolocation systems such as GPS, public-facing applications will still be able to utilise it. I am pleased that the UK Space Agency is leading the development of options for a UK space-based positioning, navigation and timing system (PNT). Work is also being carried out to determine the UK's timing requirements and assess the options for meeting them.
In the Trade and Cooperation Agreement with the EU, the Agreement stated that the UK will participate and benefit from the Copernicus services and products in the same way as other participating countries.
At present, the UK Space Agency is also working to support the NHS in its work tackling Covid-19 through measures such as introducing new advanced software helping speed up cancer diagnoses, to satellite communications connecting GPs to patients virtually, to drone deliveries and other GPS/AI technologies.
More broadly, my Ministerial colleagues and I are committed to ensuring the UK becomes a global science superpower and that we continue to collaborate with Europe on scientific research. I welcome that the Trade and Cooperation Agreement with the EU confirmed that the UK will continue to participate in all parts of Horizon Europe. Furthermore, UK entities may participate in direct actions of the Joint Research Centre (JRC).

So, they are pi$$ing away any money spent on developiing and implementing EGNOS-based LPV IAPs, with the result that UK EGNOS supported IAPs will preseumably have to come out of the UK AIP, and the promising to re-invent the wheel. Unbelievable.