PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Last A380 Leaves Assembly Hall
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2021, 01:26
JohnMcGhie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it ain't a 380, I would rather not go!

As others have said, there's no comparison with the A380 on long-haul.

I am in Sydney, so most of my trips are across the ditch to Auckland, across the puddle to LAX, or across the ITCZ to China. And I have to pay my own way, which means I can only afford cattle-class.

So yes, I search the schedule, looking to maximise the amount of the journey I spend in an A380. Yes, I pay a bit more for the ticket, but I arrive less zombified. SYD to LAX in a 380 is three movies and a nice snooze. In the 777 buzz-box it is an endurance test! The 747 is cramped, noisy and uncomfortable in comparison, and the A330 just has to be endured. DFW to SYD allows an extra movie and a longer snooze: but it's a gruelling chore in a 747 (even if you don't have to stop for extra fuel).

My introduction to the A380 was AKL to SYD. My partner asked when they were going to start the engines: I pressed my ear against the window to confirm, then announced "they already have!" I learned two things on that trip: the other was "don't get stuck in a window seat with a bladder like mine!"

Suspended in a cigar-tube above the Pacific, one has 11 or 12 hours to be grateful that in the case of engine failure, the crew has a spare. In a 777, I diligently renew my acquaintance with the power of prayer!

At my age, chances are I will be dead before that last A380 is scrapped: I will be searching the flight schedules for her!