PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 stall recovery
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2021, 00:39
Roj approved

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I'm not the Ace of Base, but I manage, Just

Originally Posted by vilas
I noticed that pilots who struggle have two issues they are too fast in pitch up causing secondary stall warning and then hanging around three to five degrees of pitch getting VFE exceedance. When I have talked them through the manoeuvre they do it without a problem. So basically inadequate scan. Actually landing configuration gear down direct law stall is easier as you rarely get secondary stall warning why is that? And high level stall like FL 350 stall warning sounds when well inside the amber Barber pole. In alternate law there's VLS and below that is Vsw. Isn't it supposed to be the top of Vsw scale?
I have a theory, but then again, I have lots of theories.

Being as you can only "Stall" an Airbus when not in Normal Law, and the actual amount of time I have spent flying in ALT/Direct Law is limited, ie SIM's or the very rare inflight Failure, I am not really "Current" with the subtle control differences.

IE: No Thrust compensation.

So, I do the initial actions well,
Pitch down, Wings Level,
-when out of stall-

This next step is the were I have come unstuck (and many others obviously)

THRUST increase (there is no mention of PITCH change)

In NORMAL LAW, when thrust is increased, the Airbus magic holds the pitch to compensate.

In ALT/DIRECT Law, this is not the case, so any thrust increase will lead to an increase in PITCH.

Generally, at this point, I am hauling back on the stick trying not to lose too much Altitude or Overspeed, add in a large increase of THRUST, and bingo, massive Pitch up and Secondary Stall.

SO, I now get a chance to show the Check Capt that I can learn from my mistakes, and during my Self Induced Repeat, I go through this process again, but this time, I don't haul back on the stick, but allow the thrust to do its thing and raise the nose for me. (It may need a little help).

Then I dutifully go through the follow up actions, and hope that is good enough to not actually have to do it again. (I generally have to, and usually do ok on the second go. Fast learner, eh? ;-))

What do really I learn?

Well, the above of course, but also, my scan rate was appallingly slow. We get so used to the "Normal" Airbus magic, that anything out of "Normal" needs to be carefully thought through and you must really "FLY" the aeroplane, which obviously hasn't happened because you have managed to Stall it in the first place.

As for using the "BIRD" for recovery, unless it was already on, I wouldn't waste the time asking for it, just do the recovery steps as prescribed.

Flaps 1?
It says to do it, so you should, but at this point be very slow and deliberate, check the IAS, check the ALT, call "Flap 1". With all that adrenaline coursing through your veins, the last thing you need is another Master Warning going off.

Originally Posted by vilas
Actually landing configuration gear down direct law stall is easier as you rarely get secondary stall warning why is that?
Maybe because the extra drag slows the acceleration the pitch up?

That's some of the dumb things I've done in the SIM, I've got plenty more

Last edited by Roj approved; 1st Apr 2021 at 05:23. Reason: spelling