PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2021, 13:14
De_flieger

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by minigundiplomat
My spidey senses pricked up when I read the words 'terrifying percentage'. No mention of sample size, did they study 10 people, or 10,000? Heaven forbid I should have poor memory 8 months after COVID.......

Looks like Dr Dre science.
If it's the article "Persistent symptoms up to four months after community and hospital-managed SARS-CoV-2 infection", by Darley et al, published in Medical Journal of Australia:
The study size was 78 patients, of which 9 had been hospitalised. The average age in the study group was 47 years of age. 37 of the 78 had no comorbidities, and at the time of presentation 3 of the 78 were classed as obese.

There were a range of measurements taken to assess the impact across various organ systems, with a substantial proportion of people experiencing ongoing problems across a range of organs, including some with cognitive impairment or ongoing loss of smell, indicating some sort of nerve damage. The authors acknowledged that their study is limited in its ability to generalise across a broader population, as their sample was largely drawn from a highly educated, wealthier predominantly white population with lower rates of chronic co-morbidity - ie the results found in the study are actually likely to be better than those found in a poorer, sicker group with worse healthcare or the general population.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a more recent or different paper, as the journalist keeps referring to an 8 month timeframe, that would be appreciated.